I have been working on a series of "thematic journals"
that I will be teaching at an upcoming workshop and thought that I would pass this along to all of you. Over the next few weeks I will post instructions and progress. If you would like to join in please comment and leave your link and I will post them so that others can enjoy the process.
Part One: Journal Prep
- A hardback picture book that has a theme that speaks to you and has great images. (Barnes and Noble bargain section is great, yard sales, etc)
- gesso in black and white
- craft paint
- pens, markers
- colored pencils
- caran d'ache neo color II
- glue stick
- metal ruler
- bone folder
- variety of papers
Select a book
Go through book and mark pages that you really like to highlight.
Glue together pages that you don't care for to give pages that you do more weight.
- paint over whole text pages
- paint over page but highlight an image or portion of an image
- frame images
Tear down pages
- using a metal ruler placed at the spine of the book tear down two pages at a time.
- insert a variety of papers by gluing into the middle of this leftover tab.
- tabs can be gessoed or painted over
*I use dyed papers, watercolor paper, printed paper, etc.
Add paper elements to pages using matte medium or glue.
p.s. I lovvvvveee black gesso - can you tell ;)
Part II shall be forthcoming ....